We rely heavily on hundreds of hard-working volunteers to help the Dubuque Regional Humane Society (DRHS) to continue our efforts as a no-kill humane society committed to rescuing, supporting, educating and advocating for our companion animal friends!
We would love for you to join our team. If you are 16 years or older, you can become a Dubuque Regional Humane Society volunteer. If you are 12-15 years old or an individual over 16 years old who don’t meet independent volunteering criteria – you can still get involved! Just make sure to have a Dubuque Regional Humane Society adult volunteer with you at all times.
Check out the numerous ways you can get involved, then fill out our application form to get started.
Ways to Volunteer
- Shelter Crew - New Volunteers complete 6 ‘Shelter Crew’ hours before becoming eligible to socialize animals. Shelter Crew volunteers assist in our Morning Clean Team, general building care and maintenance, and kennel care, ensuring healthy conditions for our animals. Greet all guests of the shelter and assist at the front desk.
- Office Administration - Help staff organize the volunteer space, put together information packets, create informational materials for potential adopters, scan documents, enter data, and more.
- Green Team - Help keep the landscaping that surrounds the shelter looking beautiful by assisting with planting, trimming, and watering plants.
- Trained Handler - Once 6 'Shelter Crew' hours have been completed, volunteers become eligible for an additional handling training. This will allow for volunteers to begin their volunteer service as Trained Handlers, greeting shelter guests, assisting in adopter visitations, and giving adoptable animals individualized attention in a visitation room, outside in the play yard, or while out on a walk. Additional trainings for bathing/grooming, morning walk crew, and photography also available.
- Foster - Help prepare our animals to find their forever home by caring for their individual needs.
- Humane Education- Teach the community about the importance of animal responsibility and safety at an area school or during Kids & Critters Summer Camp.
- Community Adoption/Information Event - Raise awareness of the Dubuque Regional Humane Society and its services while helping our adoptable animals find a forever home.
- Special Events - Help the Dubuque Regional Humane Society put on the ‘Strut Your Mutt’ and ‘Tails at Twilight’ annual fundraisers.
On the following dates we will offer New Volunteer Orientation for the first 20 registered applicants:
- February 7 at 5:30 p.m.
- March 9 at 9:30 a.m.
- April 8 at 5:30 p.m.
- May 7 at 5:30 p.m.
To register for any of these orientation dates, please email Kelsey with your name and the date you would like to attend.