Lost & Found
The number #1 thing you can do is to make sure you license and tag your pet! This is the easiest way to make sure your pet can be returned to you. We have information available at the shelter regarding tags and microchipping your pet. Contact us for details.
If you lose your pet:
- Call us right away. There is a good chance that someone will find it and bring it to us. If you call us right away, we will know your pet when it is brought to us. We also recommend that you come out to personally see if your pet is here. Your description may not not match which breed we think it is. For example you may consider your dog as a bulldog mix, and we may think it is a boxer mix when it comes in. Bringing a picture of your pet in to leave with the staff is also a big help.
- Post flyers in your neighborhood and use a picture if possible. We also offer an area to post flyers here at the shelter as well.
- Call your neighbors to notify them of your loss and to be on the look-out.
- Contact any friends or family members who are close to your pet, but do not live with you. It's not unheard of for pets to try and visit these people on their own.
- If you find your pet, call us to notify us of the good news and so we can take it off of our Lost List.
If you find a stray or wild animal:
- Not all stray animals are ones that were abandoned, make sure you contact the Dubuque Regional Humane Society about the animal you found before you decide to keep it. That stray animal may have a family looking for it.
- Ask your neighbors if they are missing their pet.
- If you are located within the Dubuque city limits, please call Animal Control at 589-4185.
- If you are located outside the city of Dubuque, contact local law enforcement for assistance.
If you are unsure in anyway about your safety or the animals safety, do NOT attempt to control the animal yourself. Call for help first.